SLUB is committed to the dissemination of knowledge with as few technical, legal or physical barriers as possible. We therefore make digital content available in the public domain or under free licenses, with due regard to the applicable law. SLUB's licenses, rights or usage instructions are stated for each collection and successively for each object.
For this reason, you should above all be able to freely use and distribute reproductions of works for which the copyright protection has already expired. These digital objects are therefore generally made available under the Public Domain Mark 1.0. You may copy, modify, distribute and perform these works, even for commercial purposes, without having to ask for permission in any way.
Digital objects whose originals derive from other institutions or which may not be published in the public domain for copyright or ancillary copyrights reasons are subject to terms and conditions of use or licensing that allow as free of use and re-use as possible.
Regarding digital objects made available under the Creative Commons CC-BY-SA 4.0 License, you may reproduce and redistribute their content, modify and build upon the work for any purpose, provided that you cite SLUB and/or the owning institution as the source. You shall also use the same license CC-BY-SA 4.0 if redistributed.
For digital objects made accessible under "Free Access - Reserved Rights", the following applies: you may use them for scientific and private purposes free of charge, provided you cite the complete source including the name of the author, but you may not modify them. The commercial use of these objects is subject to authorization and usually a fee, and requires the written consent of the copyright holder, who has the right to prohibit use on a case-by-case basis. The General Terms and Conditions of Business, and the Library Fees and Charges of SLUB or of SLUB/Deutsche Fotothek apply.
Citation of Source
When using a digital object, the owning institution (if different from SLUB), SLUB or SLUB/Deutsche Fotothek and – in the case of photographs – the photographer must be named. In the case of online publications, we additionally recommend the indication of the PURL/URN as well as the license/rights notice. Recommended sources:
- SLUB, digital.slub-dresden.de/id1666485241 (Public Domain Mark 1.0)
- SLUB, digital.slub-dresden.de/id351356843 (In Copyright 1.0)
- OLB Görlitz / SLUB, digital.slub-dresden.de/id44573096X (CC-BY-SA 4.0)
- University Library Freiberg / SLUB Dresden, digital.slub-dresden.de/id507942159 (Public Domain Mark 1.0)
Manuscripts and unique items including indication of the signature
- SLUB, Mscr.Dresd.A.46.a, digital.slub-dresden.de/id280760329 (Public Domain Mark 1.0)
Picture documents from the holdings of SLUB/Deutsche Fotothek with indication of the photographer
- SLUB/Deutsche Fotothek, Karl Blossfeldt, www.deutschefotothek.de/documents/obj/90011896 (Public Domain Mark 1.0)
- SLUB/Deutsche Fotothek, Erwin Fieger, www.deutschefotothek.de/documents/obj/71554414 (Free access - Rights reserved)
Image holdings from partner institutions
For image holdings from partner institutions, the respective copyright holder and license for each object are listed:
- Institut Heidersberger gGmbH, Wolfsburg / Heinrich Heidersberger, www.deutschefotothek.de/documents/obj/83005840 (Free access - Rights reserved)
Images of works of art and collection items
In the case of images of works of art and collection items, the location of the original must also be mentioned. There must be no doubt regarding the classification of image and its proof of origin, for example:
- SLUB/Deutsche Fotothek, Jürgen Karpinski, www.deutschefotothek.de/documents/obj/87705421 / Staatliche Kunstsammlungen Dresden (SKD), Rüstkammer (Rights reserved)
If you use one of our digital objects for scientific or private purposes, please send us a specimen copy or proof of publication. This is obligatory for commercial use.
Individual reproductions / Digitisation
Individual reproductions can be ordered in various formats and resolutions (order form). The General Terms and Conditions of Business, and the Library Fees and Charges of SLUB or of SLUB/Deutsche Fotothek apply.
Digital copies that have been produced on demand will be published in the Digital Collections of SLUB or SLUB/Deutsche Fotothek. As a result they are freely accessible and available on a long-term basis.
Last updated: 1 October 2019